Table of contents:
Edamame, also known as green soybeans or vegetable soybeans, refers to soybean pods, still green, before they mature. This food is beneficial to he alth because it is rich in protein, calcium, magnesium and iron and low in fat. In addition, it contains fiber, being very useful in combating constipation and great to include in weight loss diets.
Edamame can be used to prepare various dishes, serving as an accompaniment to meals, or for preparing soups and salads.
He alth benefits
Due to its nutritional value, edamame has the following benefits:
- Provides the body with essential amino acids, making it a great food to include in vegetarian recipes;
- Helps reduce bad cholesterol, helping to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases;
- Contributes to weight loss, as it is rich in protein and fiber and low in fat and sugar, and has a low glycemic index;
- May reduce the risk of developing breast cancer, due to the soy isoflavones that edamame contains. However, further studies are needed to prove this benefit;
- Contributes to the proper functioning of the intestine, due to its rich fiber content;
- It may help alleviate the symptoms of menopause, as well as contribute to fighting osteoporosis, also due to the presence of soy isoflavones, but more studies are needed to prove this benefit.
Discover more foods rich in phytoestrogens.
In the following table, the nutritional value corresponding to 100 g of edamame is indicated:
|Edamame (per 100 g)|
|Energy value||129 kcal|
|Protein||9, 41 g|
|Lipids||4, 12 g|
|Carbohydrates||14, 12 g|
|Fiber||5, 9 g|
|Iron||3, 18 mg|
|Vitamin C||7, 1 mg|
|Vitamin A||235 UI|
Recipes with edamame
1. Edamame hummus
- 2 cups of cooked edamame;
- 2 cloves of minced garlic;
- Lemon juice to taste;
- 1 tablespoon of sesame paste;
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil;
- Pepper and s alt to taste.
Gather all the ingredients and grind everything. Add seasonings at the end.
2. Edamame Salad
- Edamame grains;
- Cherry tomato;
- Grated carrot;
- Fresh cheese;
- Red peppers in strips;
- Olive oil and s alt to taste.
To prepare the salad, just cook the edamame or use it already cooked, and mix the remaining ingredients, after washing them well. Season with s alt and a drizzle of olive oil.