Table of contents:
Functional foods are those that contain substances that have several he alth benefits and that, therefore, can help prevent and treat some he alth conditions such as diabetes, poor digestion and constipation, for example.
Thus, a functional diet is considered, one that contains fresh and natural foods, which in addition to nourishing also protect the body from diseases. There are a number of foods that are functional and guarantee not only flavor but also nutrients and calories essential for the proper functioning of the body.
As it has several he alth benefits, functional food also helps to reduce expenses related to he alth care, such as medicines at the pharmacy, doctor appointments or medical exams, for example, because these foods strengthen the body and make it difficult for diseases to appear.
Functional foods list
Functional foods should be consumed with the aim of improving people's quality and life expectancy, because due to their properties, they reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as cancer and diabetes, for example. Some functional foods can be:
- Sardine, chia seeds and walnuts, as they are rich in omega 3, which helps to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, fight inflammation and help improve the abilities of the brain.
- Tomatoes, guava and watermelon as they have large amounts of lycopene, an antioxidant that helps lower cholesterol and lower the risk of prostate cancer.
- Yogurt and kefir, which are foods with probiotics, which are good bacteria that regulate the intestines, preventing constipation and preventing the onset of colon cancer.
- Corn, kiwi and zucchini, which are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that prevent macular degeneration and the appearance of cataracts.
- Green tea, purple grapes and red wine,as they are foods with catechins that help prevent various types of cancer and strengthen the immune system.
- Corn and soybeans, as they contain phytosterols, which are substances that help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Grain bran, passion fruit and almonds with skin, as they are foods rich in fiber, help to regulate the intestines, reducing the chances of having colon cancer.
Furthermore, fiber helps to reduce cholesterol by decreasing the absorption of fats, controlling diabetes by preventing blood sugar from rising rapidly and fighting obesity by decreasing appetite. Discover other foods rich in fiber.
Recipe with functional foods
Functional foods should be part of everyday life, and can be included in breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner. One way to consume several functional foods is in soy salad, for example.
- 1 cup with soy;
- 2 tomatoes;
- 1 onion;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil;
- 1 can of corn;
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds;
- 2 tablespoons of chopped almonds with skin.
Boil the soybeans in 1 liter of water and let it rest for 1 hour. Sauté the tomato with the olive oil, the chopped onion and the garlic. Add soy and corn. Turn off the stove and finally add the chia seeds and chopped almonds.
If you don't like fruits and vegetables or trying new foods, watch the video below and learn how to try and enjoy these foods.