Table of contents:
The treatment for gastritis should be guided by the doctor, and the use of drugs to inhibit or neutralize the acid produced in the stomach, such as omeprazole, pantoprazole, aluminum hydroxide and calcium carbonate, for example, may be indicated. In addition, in some cases, the use of antibiotics may also be indicated to fight the H. pylori bacteria, which is normally present in cases of gastritis.
In addition to the remedies prescribed by the doctor, it is also important to pay attention to food, and it is recommended to give preference to foods that are easily digested and that do not stimulate the production of acid in the stomach.
Some home remedies also have properties capable of relieving the symptoms of gastritis due to the decrease in stomach acidity, such as potato juice and mastic tea, and should be used as a complement to the treatment indicated by the doctor.
Remedies for gastritis must be prescribed by the doctor and aim to promote the reduction and/or neutralization of stomach acidity, which helps to relieve the discomfort caused by gastritis. Thus, the doctor may recommend the use of:
- Acid production inhibitors such as omeprazole, esomeprazole, pantoprazole, lansoprazole, cimetidine and nizatidine;
- Antacids, which neutralize acid produced in the stomach, such as aluminum hydroxide, magnesium hydroxide, calcium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate;
- Antibiotics, especially in cases where H. pylori infection is identified, such as clarithromycin associated with amoxicillin or metronidazole.
It is essential that the medication is used according to the doctor's advice, because the prolonged use of acid production inhibitors, for example, can increase the risk of developing a tumor in the stomach.In addition, in the case of antibiotics, if the treatment is interrupted, it is possible that the bacteria will develop again and lead to the appearance of gastritis symptoms again. See more details about gastritis remedies.
Food is a fundamental part of the treatment of gastritis, and it is important to include foods that are easy to digest and that avoid excessive production of acid in the stomach, which helps to prevent and relieve symptoms of gastritis. Thus, some dietary guidelines for gastritis are:
- Eat small portions at a time, every 3 hours;
- Drink liquids only between meals;
- Give preference to cooked and grilled foods;
- Avoid condiments, sauces and flavor enhancers such as sazon and others;
- Avoid any type of alcoholic beverage, carbonated or industrialized, including industrialized juices;
- Avoid raw and difficult-to-digest foods such as red meat;
- Avoid coffee, chocolate, black tea, as well as acidic fruits like lemon, orange or pineapple.
It is recommended that the diet be guided by a nutritionist, as it is possible to prepare a food plan according to nutritional needs and the symptoms to be tackled. Learn more about the gastritis diet.
3. Home remedies
Home remedies for gastritis aim to complement the treatment indicated by the doctor and relieve symptoms, as they are able to reduce stomach acidity, promoting symptom relief. In addition, some home remedies improve digestion, favor gastric emptying and fight Helicobacter pylori.
Some home remedy options for gastritis are potato juice, mastic tea, banana and pear juice and espinheira santa tea. Discover other home remedies for gastritis.
Signs of improvement and worsening
Signs of improvement of gastritis can be noticed during treatment and include less pain and easier digestion of food. Nervous gastritis usually also improves when the patient is calmer.
On the other hand, signs of worsening arise when the individual does not follow treatment correctly, consumes alcoholic beverages or eats acidic or fatty foods and include increased pain, heartburn, swollen belly, nausea and vomiting.
Complications of Gastritis
Complications of gastritis are more common in people who do not undergo proper treatment, which increases the risk of developing a gastric ulcer, which if not properly treated can increase the risk of stomach cancer. However, by performing the treatment according to medical advice, the cure of gastritis can be achieved.