Table of contents:
The 800-calorie diet is a very restrictive food plan that should not be carried out without the guidance of a nutritionist. This type of low-calorie diet is not easy to maintain in the long term and therefore its success rate is very low.
The daily calorie recommendation varies from one country to another, however it is recommended that the person consumes about 2000 to 2300 calories a day so that the person stays at their ideal weight and, therefore, the consumption of just 800 calories can be harmful to your he alth.
But, to know what your ideal weight should be and if 800 calories a day is the most adequate to reach the ideal weight according to weight, height and physical activity, put the data in the following calculator:
It is important to keep in mind that there are safer and more effective ways to lose weight.
The following is an example of a menu so that you can see how restrictive the diet is:
|Breakfast||1 cup unsweetened coffee + 2 scrambled eggs with 1 tomato and 2 tablespoons diced onion + 1 orange||130 kcals|
|Morning snack||1 plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and 1 tablespoon of chia seeds||150 kcals|
|Lunch||90 grams of grilled fish + 1 large potato and cooked vegetable salad (green beans, carrots and onions) dressed with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and apple cider vinegar||285 kcals|
|Afternoon snack||1/2 cup diced melon||30 kcals|
|Dinner||Grilled chicken salad with 2 lettuce leaves, grated carrots, tomato and onion. Season with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and apple cider vinegar||160 kcals|
|Total calories||800 kcals|
The realization of this type of diet can have several he alth consequences, the main ones being:
- Accordion effect,this is because this diet promotes very fast weight loss and when bedtime is not followed, the person is more likely to regain the lost weight or gain more weight. Understand why the accordion effect happens;
- Increased risk of malnutrition,because when you consume fewer calories, there is a greater possibility of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. In addition, weight loss can be so rapid that a person can go from being overweight to being underweight;
- Hair loss, weakening of nails and dry skin, which can happen due to a lack of essential vitamins in the body, such as omega-3, B vitamins and vitamins C and A, for example;
- Hormonal problems, as there may be changes in the production of hormones in the body and in the functioning of the ovaries, which can result in amenorrhea or irregular menstruation in women;
- Fertility problems, which mainly happens because of hormonal changes and lack of nutrients to ensure pregnancy;
- Increased risk of disease, because it can promote immune system suppression.
In addition, there may also be low blood pressure, headache, low blood sugar, nausea, tiredness, and fatigue.
How to lose weight in a he althy way
A varied, balanced and colorful diet has more he alth benefits than a restrictive diet.
Therefore, it is important to make progressive changes in diet, such as reducing the consumption of foods rich in sugars and fat, increasing the consumption of fruits and vegetables, giving preference to the consumption of foods rich in fiber such as rice, bread and pasta whole grain and drink 2 to 2.5L of water a day.
In addition, it is recommended to perform physical activity on a regular basis, at least 3 times a week, and aerobic activities, such as running or swimming, or weight training can be practiced.