Table of contents:
Andropause is a condition characterized by a decrease in the production of testosterone by men, which causes symptoms similar to those of menopause in women, such as mood changes, decreased libido, loss of muscle mass and excessive tiredness., for example.
Although andropause is a normal stage of male aging, it can be controlled through testosterone replacement through medications prescribed by an endocrinologist or urologist.
Symptoms of andropause usually appear from the age of 50, because at that age the levels of testosterone produced and circulating in the male body become lower. Thus, the main signs and symptoms related to andropause are:
- Excessive fatigue;
- Frequent mood swings;
- Heat waves;
- Decreased libido;
- Erection difficulty;
- Decreased amount of body hair;
- Loss of muscle mass and increased amount of body fat;
- Difficulty concentrating;
In the presence of these signs and symptoms, it is important that the man consults the urologist so that the circulating testosterone levels and the symptoms presented are verified and, thus, it is possible to assess the need to initiate treatment.
Select in the following test the symptoms you may be presenting to know the risk of being in andropause:
- 1.Lack of energy and excessive tiredness Yes No
- 2.Frequent feelings of sadness Yes No
- 3.Sweat and hot flashes Yes No
- 4.Decreased sexual desire Yes No
- 5.Decreased erection capacity Yes No
- 6.No spontaneous erections in the morning Yes No
- 7.Decreased body hair, including beard Yes No
- 8.Decrease in muscle mass Yes No
- 9.Difficulty concentrating and memory problems Yes No
Make an appointment with a specialist
How is treatment
Treatment for andropause should be guided by the urologist and endocrinologist according to the symptoms presented by the man and testosterone levels and aims to relieve symptoms and prevent the development of complications such as heart disease, anemia and osteoporosis.
In most cases, it is recommended that men undergo hormone replacement therapy, which can be done in two main ways:
- Testosterone Pills: serve to increase testosterone levels and thus reduce symptoms. An example of a remedy for andropause is Testosterone Undecanoate, which has few side effects;
- Testosterone injections: are the most economical and used in Brazil, used to increase testosterone levels and reduce symptoms. Generally, 1 injection dose is given per month.
After the start of treatment, it is usually indicated that the man performs a digital rectal exam and PSA measurement in order to verify if there has been any important change in the prostate due to the treatment.