Table of contents:
Burdock is a medicinal plant, also known as Greater Burdock, Pegassos Herb, Pega-Moço or Ear de Gigante, widely used in the treatment of dermatological problems, such as acne or eczema, for example.
The scientific name of Burdock is Arctium lappa and it can be purchased in natural products stores, compounding pharmacies and in some street markets.
This plant can also be used to relieve symptoms of gastrointestinal problems such as constipation or poor digestion. Thus, some of the more common uses of Burdock include:
1. Treating gastric problems
Because it has a good soothing and anti-inflammatory property, burdock can be used in cases of gastritis or even stomach pain without a specific cause, as it relieves irritation of the gastric mucosa.Furthermore, as it also has cholagogue and choleretic action, it stimulates the functioning of the gallbladder, which ends up facilitating digestion.
- How to use burdock for gastric problems: put 3 tablespoons of burdock root in a pan, let it boil with 1 liter of water for 5 minutes. Let cool, strain and drink up to 3 cups a day.
See how to use burdock in cases of gallstones.
2. Eliminate fluid retention and cellulite
Burdock tea has excellent diuretic and depurative properties that, in addition to eliminating excess fluids through urine, can also help fight cellulite, especially if combined with a balanced diet and physical exercise regular.
- How to use burdock for retention and cellulite: put 1 tablespoon of burdock in a pan with 300 ml of water and boil for ten minutes.Then, strain the mixture and let it rest for 5 minutes or until it cools. Drink 2 to 3 cups of the tea a day to ensure the best results.
3. Avoiding kidney cramps
This tea can also be used to relieve mild kidney cramps or even prevent them from appearing, because due to its diuretic action, it may be able to eliminate small kidney stones and sand that cause pain.
- How to use burdock for renal colic: boil 1 liter of water and add 1 tablespoon of chopped burdock leaves. Then, cover and let it rest for 10 minutes or until lukewarm. Finally, strain the mixture and drink it little by little throughout the day.
Other indications of burdock
Burdock can also help treat acne, boils, abscesses, eczema, dandruff, diabetes, rheumatism, gout, bronchitis or nephropathy, for example.
Check out how to use burdock and other plants to treat acne and pimples on the skin.
The properties of Burdock include its antibacterial, fungicidal, astringent, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, soothing, healing and depurative action.
Possible side effects
The main side effects of Burdock include increased urinary frequency, stimulation of uterine contractions, and increased blood sugar levels in diabetic patients.
Who should not wear burdock
Burdock is contraindicated for pregnant women, children and patients with diarrhea.