Table of contents:
Eggplant is a vegetable rich in antioxidants, such as flavonoids, vitamin C and nasunin, which is the main antioxidant present in the eggplant peel, which act in the body preventing the development of heart diseases and decreasing cholesterol levels.
By having good amounts of fiber, eggplant also helps balance blood glucose levels, controlling and preventing diabetes.
In addition, eggplant has great amounts of water and low calorie content, making it a great option to include in weight loss diets.
Including eggplant in your daily diet can bring several he alth benefits, such as:
- Reduce levels of "bad" cholesterol and triglycerides, as it contains flavonoids and nasunin, which are powerful antioxidants, helping to prevent the development of heart problems such as atherosclerosis, for example;
- Improve blood circulation as it has anti-inflammatory properties that help regulate blood pressure;
- Help in weight loss, as it has few calories and is rich in fiber, increasing the feeling of satiety;
- Preventing anemia, as it has good amounts of folic acid, which is a vitamin that participates in the production of blood cells;
- Control and prevent diabetes, as it is rich in fiber that slows down the absorption of carbohydrates in the intestine, helping to balance blood glucose levels;
- Improve memory as it contains antioxidants that prevent damage that free radicals can cause to central nervous system cells, promoting brain he alth.
In addition, eggplant consumption prevents some intestinal problems, as the fibers present in this vegetable help eliminate toxins, facilitate digestion and regulate intestinal transit, which may reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Eggplant nutritional information
The following table shows the nutritional composition in 100 g of raw eggplant:
|Proteins||1, 1 g|
|Fat||0, 2 g|
|Carbohydrates||2, 4 g|
|Fibers||2, 5 g|
|Water||92, 5 g|
|Vitamin A||9 mcg|
|Vitamin C||4 mg|
|Folic acid||20 mcg|
It is important to mention that to obtain all the benefits of eggplant, it is essential to maintain a balanced diet and practice physical activities regularly.
How to consume
To maintain its he althy properties, eggplant should be eaten raw, grilled, roasted or cooked. It can also be used in various dishes as a substitute for pasta to prepare lasagna, in salads or on pizza, for example.
When very large, eggplant usually has a bitter taste, which can be reduced by putting s alt on the eggplant slices and letting it act for 20 or 30 minutes. After this time, you should wash and dry the eggplant slices, taking them to cook or fry right after this process.
Despite having he alth benefits, it is recommended that you do not consume more than 3 eggplants a day, as some side effects such as headache, diarrhea, malaise and abdominal pain may develop.
He althy Eggplant Recipes
A he althy, low-calorie, low-carb option that can be included in your daily diet is eggplant paste. See in the following video how to prepare the eggplant paste:
Other he althy eggplant recipes that can be prepared at home are:
1. Eggplant water for weight loss
To lose weight, you should drink 1 liter of lemon water with eggplant daily, following the recipe:
- 1 small eggplant with skin;
- Juice of 1 lemon;
- 1 liter of water.
Cut the eggplant into slices and add to the pitcher with 1 liter of water, along with the lemon juice. The mixture should be kept in the fridge overnight to be consumed over the next day.
2. Eggplant Juice for Cholesterol
Eggplant juice should be taken daily on an empty stomach to help lower cholesterol, following the recipe:
- 1/2 eggplant;
- Natural juice of 2 oranges.
Beat the orange juice with the eggplant in a blender and drink immediately, preferably without adding sugar. See more about eggplant juice for lowering cholesterol.
3. Eggplant Pasta Recipe
Eggplant noodles are rich in fiber and have a low glycemic index, making them great for lunch or dinner.
- Full-grain spaghetti pasta for 2 people;
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 1 eggplant cut into cubes;
- 2 chopped tomatoes;
- ½ small onion, chopped;
- 2 crushed garlic cloves;
- 230 g of diced mozzarella cheese or fresh mines;
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
Cook the pasta in s alted water. Sauté the tomato, eggplant and onion in olive oil until the eggplant is cooked. Add the mozzarella cheese or minas frescal cheese and stir for about 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Add the macaroni and add the grated Parmesan cheese when serving.
4. Baked eggplant
This baked eggplant recipe is very he althy, nutritious and quick to make.
- 1 eggplant;
- 1 dessert spoon of olive oil;
- 1!2 teaspoon of s alt;
- 1 minced garlic clove;
- Oregano to taste.
Just slice the eggplant and place it on a platter. Cover with the oil and then add the other seasonings. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes over medium heat, until golden.You can also sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top, before putting it in the oven to brown it.
5. Eggplant appetizer
The eggplant antipasto is a great appetizer and is a quick and easy recipe to make. One option is to serve it with wholemeal toast.
- 1 eggplant cut into cubes and with skin;
- 1/2 diced red pepper;
- 1/2 diced yellow pepper;
- 1 cup diced onion;,
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic;
- 1 tablespoon of oregano;
- 1/2 cup olive oil;
- 2 tablespoons of white vinegar;
- S alt and pepper to taste.
Place a drizzle of oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic. Then add the peppers and, when they are soft, add the eggplant. When soft, add the oregano, white vinegar and oil and then season with s alt and pepper to taste.
6. Eggplant Lasagna
Eggplant lasagna is a great option for lunch, as it is very nutritious and he althy.
- 3 eggplants;
- 2 cups homemade tomato sauce;
- 2 and ½ cups cottage cheese;
- To season: s alt, pepper and oregano to taste.
Preheat the oven to 200°C, wash and cut the eggplants into thin slices, then place them in a hot skillet quickly to let the eggplant slices dry. On a lasagna platter, place a thin layer of sauce to cover the bottom and then a layer of eggplant, sauce and cheese. Repeat this process until the platter is full and finish the last layer with sauce and a little mozzarella or Parmesan cheese for fixings. Bake for 35 minutes or until browned.