Table of contents:
- Natural techniques to lower baby fever
- Remedies to reduce baby fever
- When to go to the doctor immediately
Giving a baby a warm bath, with a temperature of 36ºC, is an excellent way to naturally lower the fever, but putting a hand towel soaked in cold water on the forehead; on the back of the neck; under the baby's armpits or groin is also an excellent strategy.
Fever in the baby, which is when the temperature is above 37.5ºC, which is not always a sign of illness, as it can also be caused by heat, excessive clothing, teething or reaction to vaccine.
The most worrying thing is when the fever happens due to an infection with a virus, fungi or bacteria, and in this case, the most common is the fever to appear fast and high, and not to give in with the simple measures mentioned above, being necessary the use of medication.
Natural techniques to lower baby fever
To lower the baby's fever it is advised:
- Remove excess baby clothes;
- Offer liquids to the baby, which can be milk or water;
- Bath the baby with warm water;
- Put towels soaked in cold water on the forehead; back of neck; armpits and groin.
If the temperature does not drop with these tips in about 30 minutes, it is recommended to call the pediatrician to find out if you can give medicine to the baby.
Remedies to reduce baby fever
Medicines should only be used under the advice of a doctor or pediatrician and antipyretics are usually indicated such as Acetominophen, Dipyrone, Ibuprofen every 4 hours, for example.
When there are signs of inflammation, the doctor may prescribe the combined use of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen in interspersed doses, every 4, 6 or 8 hours. The dose varies according to the child's weight, so be careful with the right amount.
The doctor may also prescribe an antibiotic in case of infection caused by certain viruses or bacteria.
Normally it is only indicated to give each dose after 4 hours and if the child has more than 37.5ºC of fever, because a fever lower than that is also a defense mechanism of the body, in the fight against viruses and bacteria and therefore, you should not give medicine when the fever is lower than that.
In case of viral infection (virosis) the fever subsides after 3 days even with the use of medication and in case of bacterial infection, the fever only goes down after 2 days with the use of antibiotics.
When to go to the doctor immediately
It is recommended to go to the hospital, emergency room or consult the pediatrician when:
- If the baby is less than 3 months old;
- The fever passes 38ºC and the temperature quickly reaches 39.5ºC, indicating a possibility of bacterial infection;
- There is loss of appetite, with refusal of the bottle, if the baby sleeps a lot and when awake, shows signs of intense and unusual irritation, which may indicate a serious infection;
- Spots or spots on the skin;
- Other symptoms appear such as the baby constantly whimpering or moaning;
- The baby cries a lot or stays still for a long time, without any apparent reaction;
- If there are signs that the baby is having trouble breathing;
- If it is not possible to feed the baby for more than 3 meals;
- If there are signs of dehydration;
- The baby is very lethargic and unable to stand or walk;
- If the baby cannot sleep for more than 2 hours, waking up several times during the day or night, because he is expected to sleep longer due to fever.
If the baby has a seizure, and starts to struggle, keep calm and lay him on his side, protecting his little head, there is no risk of the baby suffocating with his tongue, but it should be taken out pacifier or food from inside your mouth.A febrile seizure typically lasts for about 20 seconds and is a one-time episode, not a major cause for concern. If the seizure lasts longer than 2 minutes, the child should be taken to the hospital.
When talking to the doctor, it is important to say the age of the baby and when the fever started, if it is continuous or if it seems to go away on its own and always come back at the same time, because this makes a difference in clinical reasoning and to arrive the conclusion of what can be.