Table of contents:
- How to recognize anaphylactic shock
- What to do to avoid anaphylactic shock
- How treatment is done in the hospital
Anaphylactic shock is a severe allergic reaction that can lead to the closure of the throat, preventing adequate breathing and can lead to death within minutes. Therefore, anaphylactic shock should be treated as soon as possible.
First aid in this case is important to ensure the victim's chances of survival and include:
- Call an ambulance, calling 192 or take the person immediately to the emergency room;
- Observe if the person is conscious and breathing. If the person faints and stops breathing, cardiac massage should be started. Here's how to do it correctly.
- If you are breathing, you should lie down and lift your legs to facilitate blood circulation.
Furthermore, you should check to see if the person has any adrenaline syringes in their clothes or bags, for example, and inject them into the skin as soon as possible. People with food allergies, who are at high risk of having anaphylactic shock, usually carry these types of injections to be used in emergency situations.
In case the shock occurred after an insect or snake bite, the animal's stinger should be removed from the skin, ice applied to the site to reduce the spread of the venom.
How to recognize anaphylactic shock
The first symptoms of anaphylactic shock are:
- Increased heart rate;
- Difficulty breathing and presence of coughing and wheezing;
- Stomach pain;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Swelling of lips, tongue, or throat;
- Pale skin and cold sweat;
- Itchy body;
- Dizziness and fainting;
- Cardiac arrest.
These symptoms can appear seconds or hours after contact with the substance that causes the allergic reaction, which is usually a medication, the venom of animals such as bees and wasps, foods such as shrimp and peanuts, and gloves, condoms or other objects made of latex.
What to do to avoid anaphylactic shock
The best way to prevent anaphylactic shock is not to have contact with the substance that causes the allergy, avoiding consuming shrimp and seafood or contact with objects made of latex, for example.
Another preventative measure is to ask your doctor to prescribe a shock treatment kit, and learn how to inject yourself with adrenaline if necessary.
In addition, friends and family members should be warned about the allergy and taught how to use the emergency kit. first aid.
How treatment is done in the hospital
In the hospital, the patient in anaphylactic shock will quickly be treated with an oxygen mask to facilitate breathing and adrenaline medication in the vein, which will act in the body reducing the allergic reaction and normalizing the person's vital functions. See more details of the treatment in Anaphylactic Shock.