Table of contents:
- Pharmaceutical Medicines
- Vitamins and minerals for weight gain
- Other tips to whet your appetite and gain weight
For those who want to gain weight in a he althy way, a good option is to take some medication, such as cyproheptadine hydrochloride or buclizine dihydrochloride, which stimulate appetite, increasing food intake.
In addition, supplementation with some vitamins and minerals, such as zinc, vitamin B1 and vitamin B12, can also be recommended to gain weight, as they prevent excessive weight loss, and prevent nausea and motion sickness, which can decrease weight. hunger and the desire to eat.
However, before starting the use of any medicine or vitamin, it is advisable to go through a consultation with a doctor or nutritionist so that an assessment of the general state of he alth is carried out and the medicines and supplements are indicated. individually.
Some of the remedies that help you gain weight and that should be used under the guidance of a doctor are:
1. Cyproheptadine Hydrochloride
Cyproheptadine hydrochloride is a medication commonly used to improve allergy symptoms. However, this remedy can also be used to gain weight, especially when combined with vitamins such as vitamin B12 and vitamin B1, as it stimulates the production of muscle mass and increased appetite.
How to take it: the recommended intake varies according to age and pharmaceutical form, normally 1 tablet of 4mg, 2 times a day for children aged 2 to 6 years old. For adults, the recommendation is usually 1 tablet of 4mg, distributed 3 times a day.
2. Buclizine dihydrochloride
Buclizine dihydrochloride is a medication that lowers blood glucose levels and stimulates appetite in the central nervous system, favoring increased hunger and helping to gain weight.
How to take it: the amount of the medicine varies according to age, with 1 tablet of 250 mg being normally indicated half an hour before lunch and half an hour before dinner for adults. For children, the recommendation can be half a tablet half an hour before lunch and half a tablet half an hour before dinner.
Mirtazapine is a medication commonly used to treat depression. However, the most common side effect with using the drug is increased appetite. Therefore, when low weight is mainly caused by depression, this medication can be an alternative to stimulate appetite and gain weight.
How to take: This medication is indicated for adults only and the recommended intake varies between half and 1 full tablet of 30 mg per day, for approximately 4 weeks or more, according to the doctor's assessment.
Cannabidiol is a drug extracted from the Cannabis plant that has been approved by the National He alth Surveillance Agency for the treatment of some diseases of the central nervous system. However, some more recent studies have shown that the drug can increase appetite, helping to increase caloric intake and weight gain.
How to use: Cannabidiol prescription is mainly indicated for some diseases that cause excessive weight loss and the recommendation for use varies according to age, state of he alth and body weight. Therefore, it is essential to go through a consultation with a doctor beforehand, to check the general state of he alth and the need to prescribe the medication.
Vitamins and minerals for weight gain
Vitamin and mineral supplementation helps improve digestion, prevent weight loss and stimulate hunger, helping to gain weight. The main vitamins and minerals recommended for gaining weight are:
- Vitamin B12: people with a deficiency of this vitamin, which can happen with low consumption of food source of the nutrient, for example, have loss of appetite and nausea, leading to loss of weight. Therefore, taking a vitamin B12 supplement, in these cases, increases hunger, helping to gain weight. See how to supplement vitamin B12;
- Zinc: low intake of foods rich in zinc or changes in the body that hinder the absorption of this nutrient, can generate a lack of this mineral, causing alteration in taste and loss of hungry. In this case, supplementation with zinc is one of the recommendations to stimulate weight gain;
- Vitamin B1: Vitamin B1 deficiency is associated with increased energy expenditure and decreased appetite. Therefore, supplementation with vitamin B1 is a great option to correct the nutrient deficiency in the body, thus stimulating hunger. Learn how and when to take your vitamin B1 supplement.
In addition to supplementing with vitamins and minerals, supplements with omega 3 can also help you gain weight, as this type of he althy fat improves digestion, facilitating the emptying of the stomach and encouraging greater food intake. Here's how to choose the best omega 3 supplement.
Other tips to whet your appetite and gain weight
To open up your appetite and gain weight in a he althy way, it is important to maintain a balanced, varied and high-calorie diet. So, the main tips to gain weight are:
- Eat 5 to 6 meals a day, avoiding snacking between meals, to ingest more calories than you burn per day;
- Having meals with family or friends, because sharing this moment favors pleasure, stimulating the desire to eat;
- Eat 3 servings of fruit a day, including 1 serving of calorie-dense fruits such as avocado, coconut, mango, persimmon and banana. See other fruits with a lot of calories that help you gain weight;
- Vary the ways you prepare food, making salads raw, grilled, stewed, roasted or steamed;
- Eat he althy fats daily, such as olive oil, peanuts, coconut oil, or seeds, to increase dietary calories;
- Eat whole grains for lunch and dinner, such as brown rice, wholemeal bread, or wholegrain pasta;
- Eat tubers for lunch and dinner, such as potatoes, cassava, yams or yams, alternating with cereals;
- Include legumes daily in your diet, such as beans, lentils or chickpeas.
In addition, it is essential to eat a portion of protein at every meal of the day, to increase muscle mass production, thus helping to gain weight. See how to diet to gain weight.