Table of contents:
To lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, it is necessary to practice physical activity daily and have a balanced diet, with an increase in the amount of protein and good fats.
Physical exercise should be focused especially on strength exercises, such as weight training and crossfit, which will stimulate muscle mass gain. On the other hand, adding about 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, such as light walking and cycling, helps stimulate fat loss without affecting muscle mass.
For the loss of body fat, it is important to spend more calories than is consumed, however if the ideal amount of energy is not consumed throughout the day, it is possible to lose muscle mass and worsen the performance in physical activity. Therefore, it is important that the nutritionist is consulted so that a suitable food plan is indicated for the person and to lose fat and gain muscle mass.
How to diet
To gain muscle mass and lose fat, it is important to have a balanced diet, including the following foods:
- High-protein foods such as lean red meats, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs, tofu, low-fat cheeses and yogurts. To gain muscle mass, the diet should contain protein-rich foods at every meal, including snacks;
- Whole grains and vegetables such as chickpeas, beans, lentils, soybeans, quinoa, oatmeal, whole-grain bread, rice, pasta, and whole-grain crackers. These are foods that are rich in carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, which work as a source of energy and help restore energy to the muscle right after physical exercise;
- Fruits, such as kiwi, orange, apple, papaya, grapefruit, grapes, banana, watermelon, pear, pineapple, peach, strawberry and blueberry. It is important to consume all types of fruit, preferably whole and with the skin, thus taking advantage of all their nutrients, such as vitamins, minerals and fiber;
- Vegetables, such as spinach, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, eggplant, zucchini. Vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals, which are important for muscle growth, helping to reduce the amount of accumulated fat;
- Good quality fats, such as peanuts, cashews and Brazil nuts, almonds, walnuts, tuna, sardines, salmon, chia, flaxseed, avocado, coconut and olive oil olive. These foods help reduce inflammation in the body and provide the nutrients needed to stimulate hypertrophy.
In addition, it is important to eat small meals throughout the day, drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and practice physical activity on a regular basis, as well as drinking at least 2.5 liters of water, as it helps to increase the stimulation of muscle mass gain and to combat fluid retention, helping to deflate the body.
In most cases, an adequate meal plan and physical activity are enough to promote fat reduction and muscle mass increase. However, in some situations, the use of food supplements may be indicated to favor muscle mass gain and performance in physical activities, and should be guided by a doctor or nutritionist. Discover supplements to gain muscle mass.
Foods to avoid
To ensure hypertrophy and muscle mass loss, it is important to avoid the consumption of foods rich in sugar, which generally do not provide any nutrients, in addition to being able to cause increased fat to accumulate in the body, such as ice cream, cake, sugar-rich drinks, cookies and confectionery.
Other foods that should be avoided are fried foods rich in saturated fat, such as sausages, sausages and ham, for example, which increase inflammation in the body and accumulation of fat in the body, in addition to increasing the risk of diseases cardiovascular.
Also, alcohol is not recommended, as it can affect muscle growth as it favors fat deposition.
Menu to gain muscle mass
The following table shows an example of a 3-day menu to help with hypertrophy and fat loss:
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3|
|Breakfast||1 cup skim milk or plant-based drink + 1 oatmeal pancake with peanut butter + 1 fruit||1 low-fat plain yogurt + 2 slices of wholemeal bread with egg and cheese + 1 fruit||1 cup of coffee with skimmed milk + 1 wholemeal pancake with cheese + 1 fruit|
|Morning snack||1 wholemeal toast with cheese + 1 fruit||1 fruit + 10 pieces of cashew nuts||1 yogurt with a handful of nuts + 1 teaspoon chia seeds|
|Lunch/Dinner||150 grams of meat + 4 tablespoons of brown rice + 2 tablespoons of beans + lettuce, tomato and beetroot salad + 1 tablespoon of coconut oil||Wholegrain pasta with tuna and natural tomato sauce + braised cabbage salad, grated carrots and corn + 1 teaspoon of flaxseed + 1 tablespoon of olive oil + 1 fruit||150 grams of chicken + mashed potatoes + carrots, zucchini and green beans sautéed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil + 1 fruit|
|1 low-fat plain yogurt + chicken sandwich with light cream cheese||Coffee or tea + chicken and cheese wrap||1 cup skim milk tea or plant-based drink + 2 whole-grain toast with cheese, avocado and tomato|
The quantities on the menu may vary from person to person according to their age, weight, height, degree of food tolerance and physical activity performed. Therefore, it is important to consult the nutritionist so that a complete evaluation is carried out and a nutritional plan is prepared according to the person's needs.